Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Merry Christmas? Happy Holidays? Joy to the World?

I don't know about anyone else but I'm feeling overwhelmed with the holidays. Don't get me wrong, I love this time of the year. Christmas and Easter are my favorite holidays. I truly believe in celebrating Christmas for the reason we should. I DO enjoy buying gifts for the people I hold close to my heart. I give gifts because I want to, not out of obligation. But the tasks of what I want to do at this time of year are overwhelming me. I haven't even started Christmas cards. I don't even have a picture I want to put on them which means I need to take one. I don't even have my tree up yet because we were out of town all weekend and haven't had a chance since we returned home. I want to do some baking but haven't even started thinking about what to bake so I wonder if I'll even get to it. I admit I do have most of my shopping done.

So I'm thinking that even though I want to give to the people I care about, whether it's simply a card or homemade goodies, maybe I need to not let these things overwhelm me and make sure the season doesn't pass me by without singing "Joy to the World" sincerely. Today's Proverbs 31 ministries devotion spoke on this. I encourage everyone to do the same and not let people, things, or circumstances blind you like I often do. Maybe the best gift I can give to my family and friends is to be a joyful wife, mother, friend and not a grump!

And I think I'll stop wasting time on the computer and start decorating.........

No comments: